This weekend marks my sixth weekend here in New York. I really have no idea where the time has gone! I have learned and seen so much in that short amount of time, which sometimes feels like less than a few weeks to me… It has certainly tested my emotions and motality, what this city has thrown at me but at the end of the day I still feel so lucky and appreciative of being here…
( – All of my New York adventure, where these photos are from, can be found on my Instagram @aztecdesires )
… hese are just some things which I’ve learned so far here in the Big Apple:
• Everyone is always, Always in a rush here… so you need to walk fast or move in out of the way because you will get pushed or grunted to move… but after being here this short amount of time, I too realise that I seem to walk around at a faster pace too! Haha
• You will always be Broke… it is an expensive city, between rent, phone credit and subway cards to going out for food and tipping*… learning to budget your money will be key!
• When in doubt, wear black… although it’s one of the Fashion capitals of the world, if you feel like you have nothing to wear (like every girl at some stage does) adding a stylish belt or glam boots will change every outfit… New York loves wearing black!
• Wear good shoes… runners/trainers will be your best friend when you realise how much walking around you actually end up doing, having them or flats in your bag (I’ve also realised how much more I carry around with me:0) …you will be happy to have the comfort at the end of the day.
• It’s February now… the weather seems as unpredictable as Ireland! Since I’ve been here, there have been sunny days, rain & snow (more snow than I’ve seen in years back in Ireland) so an umbrella or a good coat is a necessity.
•New Yorkers are obsessed with coffee and avocado… I have always loved avocado(and rice cakes for my friends who know me;)) and I never liked coffee but once I tried iced-cawwfeee (with syrup Mmm) I have become obsessed! Yes, there are literally coffee shops on every corner and street, so if you want to rest your feet which will happen a lot or to get your extra coffee or juice boost.
• Battery packs / portable phone chargers… I never realised how much I rely on these, with the amount of time using Google Maps or taking pictures of something new you spot everyday, this all takes up so much battery usage and the worst feeling is when your phone dies and not remembering the address of your destination (this has happened to me a few times;( I seem to have the worst sense of direction)
• Lastly, Whenever I feel like I’m failing, although it’s hard, I try to remind myself how lucky I am to be here and how hundreds others are and have been in the past, trying to make it here too… New York will emotionally and mentally push and pull you & test you in every way, but I already feel it has made me into a stronger person (how cheesy that may sound) from getting lost, yes daily… to not getting a job that I thought I had nailed… but ‘What’s for you won’t pass you’ (I am a true believer of that!)
One other thing that I love here is how diverse it is and how there is a story with everyone you meet and inspiration in places you go…
Hope your all having a great weekend*
(PS; Sorry this post ended up being longer than I had planned!)